Refund & Cancellation Policy
Sophaya stands behind it is work and always seeks to deliver high-quality services. But we know sometimes plans change unexpectedly. We try to accommodate circumstances when we can, and our refund policies are built to accommodate circumstances whenever we can.
Open Enrollment Course/Program Cancellation
If we cancel any open enrollment program, course, or session due to technical difficulty or internet/power outage, a make-up session will be arranged. The details will be communicated to all participants promptly.
If the instructor or any of the guest speakers cancel, we will provide an alternate instructor for that session on the day it is scheduled.
Refunds for In-person facilitations, workshops, or training:
- 100% fee refund for any event canceled at least 15 business days prior to the scheduled date. NOTE: Client is fully responsible for any expenses incurred e.g. room rentals, equipment rentals, travel expenses already purchased (plane tickets, non-refundable hotel rooms, etc.).
- 50% fee refund for any event canceled within 14 business days of the scheduled date. NOTE: Client is also fully responsible for any expenses incurred e.g. room rentals, equipment rentals, travel expenses already purchased (plane tickets, non-refundable hotel rooms, etc.).
- No fee refund for any event canceled within 24 hours of the scheduled date. NOTE: Client is also fully responsible for any expenses incurred e.g. room rentals, equipment rentals, travel expenses already purchased (plane tickets, non-refundable hotel rooms, etc.).
Refunds for Sophaya and the Remote Nation Institute’s custom eLearning programs, online/Livestream courses and programs, and professional certification programs:
- 100% fee refund within 14 calendar days of paid registration, for any Sophaya or Remote Nation Institute open enrollment online/livestream courses/programs when the student has not logged into their enrolled program. NOTE: paid registration and login are two different activities – registration is an email notification, login requires action on the part of the registrant to electronically sign into our online learning platform.
- There is no refund after a student logs into the online/livestream course/program and has accessed the materials. On a case-by-case basis and at Sophaya’s discretion, the student has an opportunity to negotiate with Sophaya to put access ‘on hold’ and start again later, within 1 year of purchase of the course/program, for circumstances that prevent the student from beginning and completing their course or program. To inquire about placing your registered course on hold, please contact the program administrator at
- For custom eLearning programs, Sophaya will refund at 100% once a contract is signed if course development work has not started. Once course development work is underway, Sophaya will refund up to 50% depending on stage of development. NOTE: Client is fully responsible for any expenses incurred because of the project requirements e.g. pre-paid services e.g. video editing/ course design/curriculum customization or room rentals, equipment rentals, travel expenses already purchased (plane tickets, non-refundable hotel rooms, etc.).
Speaking fees are refundable if the event is cancelled at least 5 days prior to the scheduled date. Client is fully responsible for any expenses incurred e.g. room rentals, equipment rentals, travel expenses already purchased (plane tickets, non-refundable hotel rooms, etc.).
Refund and cancellation terms for consulting and/or executive coaching engagements will be built into the contract for each consulting and/or executive coaching engagement and is determined by the scope of work required by the consulting and/or executive coaching project.
Technology-Based Learning Policy
Students who enroll into our technology-based, either self-paced or livestream, learning programs (our courses and programs that are housed and delivered online) will be responsible for providing themselves with regular access to a reliable computer that has current standard software, a web-camera, and a microphone. Reliable internet access will also be required, to watch the online lectures, participate in the knowledge check activities such as quizzes, download materials and upload homework, and interact with the Instructor and staff by email and video conferencing. Access to a dedicated, comfortable workspace with the ability to print is encouraged and earphones or earbuds may also be helpful.
Sophaya typically evaluates our student’s performance through percentage and letter grade. For successful completion and graduation from a course or program, a C-average is required. On occasion and where indicated, a course will be graded with a ‘Pass’ or ‘Fail’.
A grade of ‘W’ indicates that a student has withdrawn from the course or program and has received a refund. A grade of ‘I’ indicates that a student has been graded Incomplete, removed from the course or program and is not eligible for a refund.
Student Attendance, Management and Dismissal Policy
At Sophaya and the Remote Nation Institute (RNI) we are proud to have fostered a community of remote workers, whom we engage through teaching, research, and virtual networking events. The RNI is a resource education center that supports our students and peers, advises, and advocates for organizations, leaders, and individuals working remotely or as part of dispersed teams.
We actively monitor our students’ progress, and our technology-based students have access to their instructor and support staff via phone, email, and video conferencing. We check in with our technology-based students frequently, to build and maintain the school/teacher/student relationship. We are committed to preparing leaders, individual team members and remote team groups to succeed as remote work professionals at all levels of their remote work careers.
Short Courses: After the purchase of a Short Course, access does not expire, and there is no pre-set requirement for attendance and no timeframe that the course must be completed within.
If a student cannot attend a live session, they must notify the Instructor by email and copy the program administrator, Adriana Cavaliere, on the notification email: .
Up to two absences are permitted, and for each absence, additional coursework and homework will be provided, and the recording of the livestream session will need to be watched. The additional coursework and homework must be completed and submitted to the Instructor before the program’s last scheduled date for it to be reviewed and graded towards the overall program grade. Failure to complete and submit the additional coursework and homework will result in a Failing grade. The student is eligible to enroll in the course or program again but will be charged full tuition and will be required to begin the coursework at the beginning – no credit for previously completed coursework will be applied. Also, see our refund policy.
Suppose a student stops making progress in relation to the pace set out in the syllabus and the appointed completion timeframe and stops responding to our contacts. In that case, we take proactive steps to mitigate the student failing or being graded Incomplete and dismissed from the course or program. Once a student has been identified as failing and not meeting the academic requirements (as stated in the syllabus and at least 50% of content not completed by mid-way point per the required completion timeframe) they will be dismissed from the program if these two criteria are met:
1. Within a 2-week window, no response from the student, to 2 emails sent to the student’s email address that is on file. The email will alert the student that they are not progressing satisfactorily and will offer the student support from their Instructor or staff.
2. Within the same 2-week window, no course progress was made in the program website, indicating no desire to continue with coursework.
Upon these two criteria being met, the student will be removed from the course and program and graded Incomplete. The student is then eligible to enroll in the course or program again but will be charged full tuition and will be required to begin the coursework at the beginning – no credit for previously completed coursework will be applied.
At Sophaya we hold ourselves to the highest professional standards and we always seek to partner with integrity and professionalism during all our client, vendor, and partner interactions. We also welcome feedback. If anyone we interact with has a concern or question, please contact Sophaya’s CEO, Mari Anne Snow at or via phone at 401.286.9828 to discuss.
Contact us to learn more about customized training options or expert group facilitation or moderation, and executive coaching services.